background & pinterest, facebook script

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Making Disinfecting Wipes

I finally used up all of my Clorox and WannaBe-Clorox wipes. I love these things! But I have been waiting to go through my supply so I could implement a greener wiping method in my house. There are two reasons for making my own wipes: (1) to make my house a less wasteful place and (2) because I hate spending money on items that are meant to be thrown away. Are you with me on this one?

I have seen other's replace their wipes with a soap solution and paper towels. But, instead of wasting the paper, I have decided that instead I am going to cut up some fabric from old T-shirts. I have to do the laundry anyway... I decided to keep the solution simple rather than use a bunch of essential oils:

2 tbsp. Liquid Castile Soap
1 ½ cups Hot Water
½ cup Vinegar

I had some lemon-marinated vinegar on hand, so that’s what I used to get a light citrus smell.

But I regress…
First I cut up the fabric into rectangles.
I folded to stagger the rectangles.
(It will pull the next rectangle up the hole of the container like store-bought wipes. And it works! Which makes the minutes it took to fold these worth it.)
Stick the wipes in the container.
Mix the solution and pour it into the container.

So I have used them and they work just fine. Even better, they smell like soap. I added a bag under my sink for the used wipes. When it's full, I will wash them.

Shared at Frugally Sustainable, One Creative WeekendCheerios & LattesMake it Pretty, Tip TuesdaysPositively Splendid and Living Green.

Featured on One Creative Weekend

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love that you reused the old wipes container. Definitely a greener idea than the disposable disinfectant wipes. Good job! Thanks for sharing at Living Green Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie! Can't get much 'greener' that this! Wonderful idea! Thank you so much for posting! Can't wait to implement this in my home! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is so awesome. Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Cheerios. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/09/make-it-pretty-monday-week-13.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool idea! Thanks for linking up at One Creative Weekend. I'll be featuring you tomorrow! Please come grab a featured button and link up anything new you'd like to share at OneCreativeMommy.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool! I love 'make your own' ideas like this! You are a featured favorite this week on Saturday Show & Tell on Cheerios and Lattes! Thanks so much for sharing last week! Hope to see you again this weekend! :)
    Mackenzie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this blog Very useful Post. our wipes feature enough moisture per wipe to cover your hands

    sanitiser wipes

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!