background & pinterest, facebook script

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

I sCream, U Scream...


I Love Ice Cream!

I try not to overly indulge. Just a spoonful when I need a fix. A spoonful in my chai tea or coffee is my go-to treat.  As fun as ice cream is to eat (my kids have even asked for ice cream for breakfast…) I am not overly thrilled by the ingredients.

From the Dryer’s website I found a list of ingredients, which includes: corn syrup, whey, acacia gum, guar gum, natural flavors, carob bean gum, carrageenan, xanthan gum.

So I thought I would experiment a little. To be honest, I was a little nervous trying this because I have always heard that you need an ice cream maker (you know that ice cream makers cost between $30-200?!). Although when I was in girl scouts we made (SALTY!) ice cream using coffee cans and good old rolling power that took hours. 

The Plan: no manual labor or salty ice cream or ice cream maker.

The Result: YUMMMM I am so adding ice cream to my must-make-from-scratch list!

Here is what I did.
I added ingredients to my blender. I turned it on. Dumped it into a container and put it in the freezer. I churned it by hand twice. The next evening we had perfectly smooth & frozen ice cream for dessert. That’s it. And yes, I was amazed that it worked!

Simplified, No-gadget Ice Cream
§  1 cup milk (I used 2%)
§  3/4 cup sugar (I used ½ cup agave)
§  2 cups cream
§  2 teaspoons vanilla extract or vanilla paste (the paste has the vanilla beans in it!)
§  A couple ice cubes (I probably could leave this out)
§  Any mix ins that you don’t mind getting crushed in the blender. My son loved adding chocolate chips, which made the ice cream chocolate sprinkled.
Directions:
1.    Put everything in a blender
2.    Once it is all blended add it to a container and stick it in the freezer.
3.    After a few hours take it out of the freezer and stir it. Should be easy. You can add whole mix ins (like candy) if desired.
4.    Repeat step 3 – it shouldn’t be completely frozen.
5.    The next day you should have ice cream!

This was well worth the five minutes of time it took to whip up!

Find it on FrugallySustainable Link Party and I can teach my child Linky Party!

3 comments:

  1. I did something similar using my Kitchen Aid mixier. I mixed it up, left the ice cream in the bowl and put the bowl in the freezer. Every hour or two I'd take it out and use the mixer to stir it up. When it got firmer I put it into some plastic-ware and left it in the freezer til it was as frozen as I liked. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HO-LEE-COW!
    I totally thought homemade ice cream was unattainable without the expensive, rarely used appliance to make it all happen.

    I can't believe it's that simple! There are so many fun flavored ice creams out there. And my fiance and I have been dying to experiment with savory flavored ice creams, too. Wow! Wow! Wow! I can't wait to try this technique out. Visiting from the Frual Ways blog hop - thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting...I am an ice cream lover and think we will have to give this a try! :) I've made ice cream so many ways but never heard of this blender method. Awesome!
    I'd love for you to join my Saturday Show & Tell; I know my readers will love your ideas too! Have a great weekend! :)
    Mackenzie
    http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!