background & pinterest, facebook script

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Journey of a Microwave-less Kitchen


April and the microwave died again… I am thinking that the universe doesn’t want me to use a microwave anymore.

In the last year we have burned through three microwaves. They weren’t new and that was the problem I am sure. When our old microwave bit the dust I found one on freecycle that was too small so I passed it on to another person and took another rejected old (but working at the time) microwave. Since that one has also gone to a better place I have been considering what life would be like without a microwave.

Since reading up on the food effects of cooking in themicrowave not to mention the uncertainties I have with my microwaveableplastic-ware, I have resorted to using my microwave only when necessary. I try to heat up leftovers in my oven or on the stove. I boil hot dogs rather than nuke them. I have gone from a 98% microwave cooking machine to an almost-everything-from-scratch and 8% microwaver in the last year. Baby steps! That is quite an accomplishment for me.

I consider my microwaves demise an interesting challenge for myself. Can I live without it? Look at all the counter space I gained! Instead of taking up my prep space to make bread, my bread maker fits great there when I need it and it is conveniently next to a plug.

In 2 weeks, my only problem: butter. How was I going to get melted butter without a microwave?! I didn’t really feel like cleaning a pan, so I stuck it in my toaster oven (I love this appliance!). This worked out fine. It took a little longer than a microwave and the jar got super hot, but it did the job just fine.

Can a babysitter handle it? I must admit I was a little worried since everyone I know has one. We left a babysitter one night with a box of Mac & cheese and hot dogs to make. Luckily our nephew didn’t have any problem using the stovetop since he prefers hot dogs boiled anyway.

4 weeks after it's death - Our next challenge came with reheating some chicken and spaghetti when my husband came home late. He was hungry and realized (after the food was on a plate) that there was no microwave. I thought it was a little funny – but he did not. My quick fix: heat up the toaster oven the bake setting and put the contents of his plate into a pie tin. Nice! The pie tin fit in there perfectly and it only took about 10 minutes to heat it up. I will have to get some more pie tins – preferably ceramic ones.

My husband isn’t too keen on the idea of living without a microwave so I will probably have to replace it someday. Too bad…

Found on Link Party

8 comments:

  1. We are going on four years without a microwave. We gave ours up when we moved to Europe, and I never got around to buying another one. I find that it is just was easy to heat things in the oven or on the stove. I have a little one cup sauce pan for heating milk or butter on the stove (my SIL uses a small frying pan), and I can do it in less time that it takes in the microwave. You can also reheat noodles or rice with a tiny bit of oil or water in a frying pan. Microwaves aren't as common here in Europe, so most people still go old school when reheating their food...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I keep thinking about using it less and I don't have a toaster oven. It feels funny to buy something new to replace something that is not working

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our microwave didn't die but I stopped using it back in January - haven't missed it one bit. I am contemplating getting rid of it and installing a regular vent hood over the stove instead. We reheat leftovers either in a pot on the stove or in the toaster oven (I love that thing!). And things just taste better reheated like that, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would cry all the way to Bed Bath and Beyond if my toaster oven died. But you are right about to food tasting better! I find that it doesn't take that much time to add leftovers to a pan. No more soggy food! The adjustment period was short and I find that I miss the microwave less and less.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Almost ten years microwave free! Once you get the hang of it, you don't miss it a bit. My biggest challenge is with defrosting (planning ahead is not my strong suit), but we make it work. I get the butter thing - I usually use a metal measuring cup right on the stove element and it's speedy quick.
    It's all worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband was diagnosed with cancer in 1993, and we got rid of our microwave. It's been almost 20 years, and we never replaced it. We use our toaster oven all the time, though, and would be lost without it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing on Saturday Show and Tell, sounds like a great challenge. I hope you'll share again this week.
    -Mackenzie
    http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is truly a great and helpful piece of info,Excellent blog,Thanks for sharing. Instant Pot IP-LUX60 v2 Pressure Cooker Review

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!