background & pinterest, facebook script

Friday, December 2, 2011

Holiday Countdown


Since my kids are still little, now is the time to create memories and new traditions. We began the Elf on a Shelf two years ago, but Connor was still a bit young to get it until this year. And I was thinking of a fun way to count down the month rather than a Chocolate advent calendar. Those, of course, do not include Chanukah. I was looking at other blogs and there are some good ideas that people have come up with to create their own. I thought I would do the same, but start out simple. Maybe I will exert more energy before December begins next year to come up with another way of doing it.

That being said, I am very happy with my chain. Connor (refusing to take a nap) “helped” by cutting up some paper with the paper cutter when I was finished. That was fun for him! Maybe next year he can help even more with this project – or better yet, make one at school that we can use ;)

Part of my Christmas Room,
the other side is Chanukah :D
I decided to count down to the New Year. I cut paper a little over 1 inch thick and numbered them. On the back, I wrote a little question or activity to do. I thought this would be something fun to discuss it during dinner or right before bed.
These ideas include:
  • Everyone deserves a compliment. Give one to each person.
  • It isn’t good to be wasteful. How can we reuse something we already have?
  • What is a miracle? Have you ever seen a miracle?
  • If you were a superhero, what super-power would you have?
  • What does it mean to be polite?
Obviously all of these are geared toward my little kids. But it is a really easy activity. That can be customized toward the people in your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!