background & pinterest, facebook script

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Dental Makeover

No I’m not planning on "making over" my teeth. I’m rather attached to them. But since having kids my cavity-free mouth suddenly is sprinkled with fillings and partial crowns. I have had gum surgery… and I am tired of paying for the dentist’s rent.

I have been doing a little research on what I can naturally do to (hopefully) fix the wanna-be fillings  in my mouth that I can’t afford to pay for and prevent any more issues. What I found out is that part of the problem can be from my diet and/or my toothpaste. I am a huge fan of having a clean-feeling mouth and since the babies have been born I have become that much more fanatical about flossing. I have floss in my purse, car, kitchen and bathrooms. What more can I do?

Go Natural!

This seems to be a recurring theme on this blog…
I found many options on the subject of homemade teeth cleaning. Some people just brush with water, baking soda, or hydrogen peroxide. Some make their own tooth paste. I am feeling the later option; however there are some times where I just want a quick clean where I have just used water or peroxide.

This post is the first of two. What I plan to do and if it ultimately helped.

At the beginning of February I began making my own toothpaste. I like the texture and how clean my mouth feels afterward. The ingredients I used include: Baking Soda, Castille soap, coconut oil, olive oil, hydrogen peroxide, and peppermint extract oil. (I didn’t include the portions since this is my first go and I think I added too much baking soda since it’s salty. But generally the coconut oil makes up the majority and keeps the consistency thicker.)

There are two other things I am doing. First, our hygienist raves about the goodness of Listerine so my husband has become quite attached to it. We go through a TON, which means that we spend a lot of money on the stuff! Since we get the giant jugs at Costco, we have a smaller bottle that we refill and keep in our medicine cabinet. Don’t tell him – but I have been filling ¼ of the bottle with Listerine and the other ¾ with hydrogen peroxide. Possible benefit = whiter teeth!

Then lastly—this is where the experiment comes in—have you ever heard of oil pulling? This is a therapy where you swish olive/coconut/sesame/etc. oil in your mouth on an empty stomach and spit it out after 10-20 minutes. It is supposed to have many health benefits and dispose of all the nasties in your mouth. Yes, this is gross. Yes, it is easy and cheap. I figure it is worth a try…

So in order to keep myself accountable and figure out if these changes are making a difference, I propose to keep track of any differences I find. I also have a dentist appointment in a month… so we shall see!

Oil Pulling links to check:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!