background & pinterest, facebook script

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Banana Baking Success!

I wasn't planning on writing a post about this recipe going into it. But I can't contain my excitement!

I have been on  a quest to find a recipe using the leftover banana mush once the yummy fruit turns brown, which means that no one in my house will eat them. I have discovered amazing banana bread, banana muffins, cake. I have frozen the leftovers for smoothies and dipped them in chocolate and frozen them. My daughter would eat some of those things - especially if I was eating it. But none of my baking creations have won the approval of my 4 year old boy... until now.

Notice there are some missing already
The big secret is CHOCOLATE. A banana cake/bread/muffin that has chocolate chips in it is just not good enough. It has to look like it is saturated in chocolate. Now this suites my sweet tooth and if I hide some good ingredients in it, all the better.

The original recipe I found made 1 dozen, but when I was finished I had 14.

Chocolate Banana Muffins
1 1/2 cups Flour
1 cup sugar (I used 3/4 cup Agave syrup)
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 cup mashed bananas
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 egg
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tbsp ground flax seeds
1/3 cup yogurt
1/4 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup mashed walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350. In a large bowl, combine the ingredients. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake for 22 minutes or until done.

This recipe is amazingly versatile. I think I changed all but the most basic ingredients. Original recipe called for vegetable oil and no flax, yogurt, or apple sauce (which I added in the end to change the consistency of the batter). It turned out moist and super yummy. A successful experiment that I will be making again.

Shared at: Iron Chef Mom-Eggs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!