background & pinterest, facebook script

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Muffin Bliss

I am so happy with my cappuccino mix, that I thought I would continue with this trend. I spent a couple hours searching for various mix ideas to try. Bring them on!

I have been making a lot of muffins lately partly because my son doesn't want to eat sweat breads (i.e. banana bread) as a snack, but he’ll eat a muffin… well, a chocolate muffin. I have hopes that he will expand his eating list, but for now I’ll add cocoa. I have posted a recipe for chocolate banana muffins before. Last night I made a similar muffin with the addition of peanut butter and oatmeal – SO good. I think this one is better than the last and I have reason to believe the kids feel the same since it was a hit for breakfast AND snack time. Anyway, while I was making the muffins I decided to also make a mix that will make muffin making much faster in the future.

The big benefit of the boxed ready-packed muffin mixes is that they take no time to make and only need a couple of wet ingredients. But there is a downside to the mixes and that is added ingredients meant to increase the shelf life of the mix while contributing to the obesity rate of the people consuming them (or is that a perk?). There can’t possibly be a good thing that comes from consuming ingredients that you can’t pronounce. So convenience is a good thing and saving money and time (which are synonymous) is a
great thing.

I found a basic recipe at TasteofHome.com but because I am me I have to change it. Which basically means that I take out ½ of the flour to substitute wheat flour and add wheat germ and flax seeds to give it that added nutrition without the family knowing (adding these extra ingredients is one of the reasons why it takes me so long to make stuff). My recipe:

   Muffin Mix

4 cups all-purpose/bread flour
4 cups wheat flour
3 cup sugar
1/3 cup baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/4 cup Wheat Germ 

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months. Yield: 4 batches (10 cups).

Yes, this is a picture of the inside of my cabinet.
I LOVE these containers and my Brother Label Maker.
To Make Combine:
2 ½ Cups of Mix
¼ cup oil or butter
2 egg
1 cup milk
1 tsp Vanilla
¼ cup apple sauce (optional)
1/3 cup yogurt (optional)
1/4 tsp molasses (if you prefer brown sugar rather than white in a recipe)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.  Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners or use shortening/oil so muffins don’t stick. Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix until fully blended.  Bake 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Allow to cool 5-10 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before you cover them or transfer to a freezer ziplock bag to freeze. 

You can add any variation of ingredients to the mix to make it the kind of muffins you want. For example, to make the Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Muffins I mentioned earlier all I had to do was add:
1 cup mashed banana (about 3 bananas)
6 tbsp. creamy peanut butter
¼ c baking cocoa
1 cup old-fashioned oats
A couple chocolate chips for the top of each muffin

Mix it up. Pop it in the oven. Gotta love it!

6 comments:

  1. Stopping by from the Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways Wednesday Blog Hop! http://queenofsavings.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the muffins last night and they turned out quite bland, even after adding chocolate chips. I left the wheat germ out and the flax seeds. I wasn't sure how much you would add to one batch since I know that wheat germ has to be refrigerated and won't last 6 months in my cupboard. So do you add and how much of the wheat germ? They weren't sweet enough either. So, how much more sugar would you add to entire mix or per batch? Additional half a cup? thanks in advance! I'm excited about experimenting with flavors..ie pumpkin spice and offering my family healthier muffins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to heart that! The what germ and flax are optional and just my way of adding some extra nutrition for the kids. did you use applesause? This will make it more sweet. You can also add honey or agave nector to you're batch rather than sugar.
      I am not a cooking expert. But bananas are sweet, chocolate chips, nut butter, regular or vanilla yogurt are sweeter than greek, coconut oil or butter instead of vegi oil. You might want try to use brown sugar instead of regular.
      I will have to make it again soon to see if they turn out differently and let you know. In which case I can update the post to use a little more sugar, but I'm not sure of the measurements to give you without trying it. Thank you for posting! I will look into it when I come home next week from vacation.

      Delete
    2. I updated the ingredients. I think this was my typo on the sugar. oops! Sorry about that. But I also added molasses to the optional list for the option of brown sugar vs. white. Since some recipes just aren't the same without.

      Delete
  3. I love this muffin recipe and think my readers would really enjoy discovering your blog too!. I would love for you to come share it at Seasonal Celebration Sunday over at Natural Mothers Network. And, I really hope that you will put Seasonal Celebration, on your list of carnivals to visit and link to each Sunday/Monday! Here’s the link: http://naturalmothersnetwork.com
    Warmly,
    Rebecca @ Natural Mothers Network

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!