background & pinterest, facebook script

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Best Basic White Bread Recipe


I mentioned in a previous post that I was trying to eliminate the preservatives from our food. I also said that I had begun to make my own bread. There is nothing like home made bread – especially really good bread!

After a couple of not-so-fluffy loaves, I have done it, by george. This recipe is great for sandwiches and toast. I adapted it from a recipe from King Aurthor’s Flour website. I have also figured out a great wheat bread recipe that I will post later.

This bread may be prepared and baked right in the machine (1 1/2-pound or larger models), or prepared in the machine, then given a final rise and baked in a conventional oven. I just threw everything in the machine and let it do the work. Easy.

Basic White Bread

1 1/3 cups water
1 heaping tablespoon (1 1/8 ounces) honey or sugar (1/2 ounce)
1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk granules
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons salt
4 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour or Bread Flour
1 tablespoon wheat germ

Place the ingredients in your bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer, and program the machine for white or basic bread, or for the dough cycle if you want to bake in the oven. Press Start.

If you're using the dough cycle, after the cycle is complete, allow the dough to continue to rise in the machine until it has really doubled in bulk. Remove the dough, shape it into a loaf, and place it in an 9" x 5" loaf pan. Let it rise until almost doubled. Bake the bread in a preheated 350°F oven for 35 to 40 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!