background & pinterest, facebook script

Friday, October 21, 2011

Sauce Project #1

Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

I have made the first preservative-free dip today. I am very happy with the results and how easy it was to make. It tastes great, but I tweaked a few ingredients for the future. I think there was a little too much parsley for one batch in the original recipe. I used fresh crushed garlic (yum!) and organic mayonnaise that I had in my fridge.
One batch was enough to fill up a 12 oz bottle ¾ of the way. This will not last long in my house. Next time I will make a double batch for sure! Here is the recipe:


Buttermilk Ranch Salad Dressing
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon minced dried onion
2 clove garlic, minced or ½ tsp of garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese

Mix all ingredients except buttermilk in a small bowl. While stirring, slowly blend in buttermilk. Chill at least 2 hours before using.


(This recipe is low in sodium and low in carbs.)

The real test:         Kid approved? YES 
                        +  Does Sarah’s skin react? NO
                        = A Winner!


UPDATE: This recipe was really yummy, but more like a dip than a salad dressing. The other issue I had is that it didn't look like Hidden Valley Ranch, so my son wouldn't eat it. What I changed:


Buttermilk Ranch Salad Dressing - take 2
2 cup mayonnaise
2 cup sour cream
2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon minced dried onion
2 tablespoon of garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese

I put it in a Ranch container to "fool" the kids.
MUCH Better!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!