background & pinterest, facebook script

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Pizza Dough

 I have been on a mission to make as much from scratch as possible. But gosh, it sure is convenient to have premade easy meals in the freezer. Like frozen pizza.

So I had a little lazy time at home and decided to make some meals for my freezer. I made a frittata with leftover ham, eggs and cheese, then cut it up into 10 portions wrapped them and stuck them in a labeled freezer bag for a quick breakfast solution. And then I decided to tackle pizza.

While my dough was in the bread machine I cut up a big box that I had. I traced my pizza stone to have the right size. (The actual act of cutting the circles was easier in my head, but it turned out ok). Added a little flour and then I had the perfect place to lay out the dough to freeze. I think it will be a faster dinner fix to roll it out since it will defrost quicker if it isn’t in a ball. When the dough was rolled out I was able to wrap it in plastic and then in foil. It did use a lot of foil, but I think I will be able to reuse the cardboard circles and the foil on another pizza. I could have added the sauce and cheese, but like I said earlier, I was feeling lazy.

I changed the recipe a bit to suite my taste. This dough smelled divine when I opened the lid of my bread maker. Yumm!

Pizza Dough
Makes: 2 crusts   

Ingredients:
1 cup water
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons oil
3 1/2 cups bread flour (I used 1 cup wheat, 2 cups of bread flour)
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon wheat germ (optional, I also think I will add flax meal next time I make it)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 cloves minced garlic

Directions:
Place ingredients in pan in order listed or as directed per machine instructions. Select dough cycle. 
When machine is finished, remove and form into crusts.

When you are ready to cook, and thaw. Preheat the oven at 400 degrees F. You will want to cook just the dough for about 10 minutes. Then when you take the pizza out of the oven it should be nearly cooked. Add toppings and cook together for 18-20 minutes or until crust is light brown. Then eat up while it's good and hot!


1 comment:

  1. I just made this again the other night and made 1 thick pizza instead of 2 thinner ones. The bread sure is yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!