It is amazing to think about my cooking and eating habits - not to mention the products I use and buy. Big difference from 5 years ago or even 1 year ago. Some of these changes are because of my kids (like making my own sauces and dips without preservatives), some are because I would like us to eat as healthy as possible, and all are because of the internet. If this information had to be researched in a library, who knows if I would take the time to look it up?
It is amazing the resources that are available at our fingertips! Most of my ideas come from other bloggers. I have learned about healthier ingredients that I can substitute out and where to buy them online (can’t get them locally or affordably in most cases). I have also learned how to cook items I usually buy and how to freeze extra items for later to make life a little easier for other meals. I think it is safe to say that my habits have changed from night to day.
Some of the changes I have incorporated:
- Using Coconut Oil for cooking. Although I am excited to try using it for other topical uses as well!
- Making all my own breads & baking from scratch
- Using other flours, like Wheat and Almond
- Making my own chicken broth
- Buying more organic when possible
On the To-Do list to change next:
- Use Arrowroot instead of cornstarch, and using a homemade blend of baking powder using the arrowroot to eliminate unsuspected metal and corn from baking.
- Buying raw organic honey and agave in bulk. We go through a lot of honey. I want to start using agave nectar when cooking rather than white sugar
- Incorporating essential oils
- The shampoos, soaps, laundry detergent, and “Clorox” wipes that I currently use need to be dechemicaled. I have already collected some great recipes.
- I want to start making my own cold medicine. Can’t wait to see how it works because we go through a lot!
Dear Reader, do you have any ideas that I am missing?