background & pinterest, facebook script

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Bread Epiphany


I had this amazing “Ah HA!” moment and had to share with the cyber universe.
 
I have a million things on my mind this morning since we are planning on driving to Tahoe tomorrow (last minute trip!) and so I am packing and menu planning and thinking of what I can do now to make life easier this week. One thing is make a couple loaves of bread so we don’t have to buy some – I have become rather spoiled with my yummy homemade bread.

So there I was in the kitchen with all my millions of ingredients making my wheat grain bread and then – Bam! I have been making all these mixes lately (Cappuccino MixMuffin Mix, Cornbread Mix, etc.) and I’ve been brainstorming on other mixes I can make to make life a little easier. BREAD MIX!


Bread doesn’t take that long so I don't find it a burden, but who wouldn’t love a couple extra minutes to do something else?

So I took my recipe that I already had all the ingredients out for and realized that by adding the dry ingredients in a bag. I would only need 3 ingredients when I next make bread, which will be right when I get back from my trip with the kids.

I put all the ingredients and measurements in a bag and labeled it with the ingredients that will need to be added to the breadmaker later. The ingredients to be added are: water, oil, and yeast (which I keep in the freezer). Easy right?!

In fact, I’m going to make a dinner roll mix to take with us for dinner one night. This idea has just changed my life!


* linked at The Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways Wednesday Blog Hop

2 comments:

  1. this is a great idea. Do yo have a good recipe for a sandwhich bread? I can't seem to make a decent loaf for eating sandwiches with. I wonder if I should buy dough enhancer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never used a dough enhancer. But you might try buying "bread flour" which has more gluten or Vital Wheat Gluten Flour to add to wheat flour to make it rise more.
      The two bread recipes I have on here at: http://stephaniesprojects.blogspot.com/2011/10/perfect-wheat-grain-bread.html
      and
      http://stephaniesprojects.blogspot.com/2011/10/best-basic-white-bread-recipe.html
      Are really great for bread toast or french toast type preparation. (Just so you know the wheat germ I add to my recipes are for added nutrition and has nothing to do with the way the bread turns out so if you don't have it, just leave it out.)
      Most of the recipes I make start from another blogger or King Arthur Flour has a bunch of recipes with user commentary: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/RecipeHome

      What I have learned from my bread making disasters is: never let the bread get over cooked, and to leave it alone during the rising process. When I manage to do these two things, I notice the bread gets nice and fluffy. Oh! And don't cut the bread before it cools down, I ended up with a funny shaped thing that should have been a bread slice... but it made good croutons!

      Hope this helps!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!